Important Dates for 2019-20
Wednesday, May 8, 2019:
- 2019-20 budget hearing
7 p.m. at the Middle School
- PTA Council’s Meet the Board of Education candidates forum
7:30 p.m. at the Middle School
Tuesday, May 21, 2019:
- 2019-20 community and budget vote: 7 a.m. to 9 p.m., High School gymnasium, 1 Tartan Way (Sacandaga Road) in Scotia.
2018-19 Budget At a Glance
- Approved 2018-19 budget: $55,989,676
- Spending Increase: $2,582,710 or 4.8 percent
- Tax levy increase: $958,412 or 3.36 percent
On May 15, 2018, the Scotia-Glenville community approved the:
- $55.989 million 2018-19 budget: 1,480 YES votes and 493 NO votes (75% to 25%). Spending increase of 4.84 percent and projected tax increase of 3.36 percent. That translates to an estimated $119.23 per year of $9.94 per month tax increase for a home assessed at $160,000.
- $14 million capital project: 1,485 YES votes and 487 NO votes (75.3% to 24.7%). The project includes upgrading the roofs on all six school buildings, upgrades to the middle school and high school auditoriums, a synthetic field where the current football field is located and upgrades to the grass fields. The estimated tax increase is $14 per year for the home assessed at $160,000.
- $305,000 bus purchase proposal: 1,453 YES votes and 524 NO votes (73.5% to 26.5%). The proposal would purchase five 28-passenger buses to replace five current buses that have high miles and/or mechanical problems. There would be no tax impact in the 2018-19 budget for this purchase.
In the race for two seats on the Board of Education:
- Hal Talbot received 1,199 votes
- David Massaro received 1,000 votes
- Gary Normington received 839 votes
2018-19 Tax Rates
- The board adopted these 2018-19 rates:
- Glenville/Scotia: $22.736 per $1,ooo assessed value (2017-18 rate: $22.16 per $1,000 – 2.62 percent increase)
- Amsterdam: $210.78 per $1,000 assessed value (2017-18 rate: $234.83 per $1,000 – 10.24 percent decline)
- Charlton: $30.20 per $1,000 assessed value (2017-18 rate: $29-12 per $1,000 – 3.72 percent increase)
Community members who are U.S. citizens may vote in the May 15, 2018 school elections if they:
- Have been a resident for at least 30 days before the May 16 election;
- Are at least 18 years old.
The district uses registration books from the Schenectady County Board of Elections. If you are not registered, you may vote by showing an official proof of residency.
Yes. Residents who are disabled, hospitalized or out of town on May 15, 2018 may cast absentee ballots. They are available at the Scotia-Glenville business office, 900 Preddice Parkway (end of Lark Street), Scotia. (518) 347-3600, ext. 73102
Absentee voters must first complete an application to vote and then complete the ballot itself.
Please be aware of these 2019-20 dates:
- Tuesday, May 14, 2019: Deadline for an absentee ballot application if you want the application mailed to you.
- Monday, May 20, 2019: Deadline to request an absentee ballot in person at the Scotia-Glenville business office.
- Tuesday, May 21,2019: Ballots are due back to the business office, 900 Preddice Parkway (end of Lark Street), Scotia by 5 p.m.
What if the budget were defeated?
If the school budget were defeated once, it could be amended and a second vote scheduled. If the budget were defeated twice, the Board of Education must adopt a contingency budget – meaning the tax levy would be the same as the current year’s tax levy.
The New York State School Tax Relief Program (STAR), which applies only to primary residences, is paid by the state to the school district and is not administered by Scotia-Glenville.
The STAR program in 2018-19 reduced school tax bills in Glenville by an estimated maximum of $620 for Basic STAR recipients (the reduction was $608 in 2017-18). Property owners with incomes below $500,000 are eligible for Basic STAR.
For property owners who receive the Enhanced STAR deduction, the Glenville reduction in 2018-19 was an estimated maximum of $1,199 (the reduction was $1,175 in 2017-18). Enhanced STAR is for property owners over age 65 with incomes of less than $84,550.