Frequently Asked Questions
If you have questions, you are not alone. Here is a list of common questions families have asked the SG ParentSquare team. Click the box of the question to reveal the answer.
The ParentSquare system is a way the Scotia-Glenville District will communicate with parents and guardians about upcoming events and emergency situations. The type of communication you will receive will depend on the type of situation and the preferences you select when setting up your account.
Posts are sent via email and also posted within the ParentSquare system, accessible by smartphone app or desktop computer. Users can choose to receive posts immediately or in a ‘digest’ function.
Email will be the primary form of communication through ParentSquare. Email will be used to communicate school-level and districtwide events that are non-emergency in nature.
Emergency alerts will be sent immediately via email in conjunction with other forms of communication (like text messages and phone calls).
Text messages (SMS)
Text messages (SMS) will only be used in emergency situations or situations where schools are closed. Only parents who have signed up for text alerts will receive text alerts. Text messages may also be sent for time-sensitive situations.
Phone calls will only be used in emergency situations.
Our goal as a district is to focus on two tools - PowerSchool, which hosts student information and organizes academic content for students to access, and ParentSquare, which will support streamlined communication throughout the district.
Users can receive information via email, text, and/or app notifications. The user of ParentSquare sets up this preference.
Mobile device access to ParentSquare
- Many staff, parents, and guardians think the easiest thing to do is to download the app “ParentSquare” onto your phone.
- PS is available in the Android/ Google Play store and iOS app store.
- Click the link that applies to your device.
- Follow the app installation instructions.
- You will be prompted to enter your email address. Enter the email address that school has on file for you, follow the prompts and you will be in!
Computer access to ParentSquare
- Go to ParentSquare.com/signin
- Enter your Email or Cell Phone number
- Create an account
- You will be in and info for each of your children will be listed as long as your information is accurate and up to date in their PowerSchool record.
Staff access to ParentSquare
Staff can log in to ParentSquare with their district Google credentials using the "Sign in with Google" button.
Staff can also access ParentSquare from within ClassLink.
Parents and guardians can update their contact information by having your child’s school change it in their PowerSchool record.
For staff who have access to PowerSchool, their contact info should also be updated in PowerSchool in the event of a change to their info (number or email).
No. Registering your account allows you to customize your preferences, but it’s not necessary to register in order to receive messages. Initially, without registering you will receive email, text and urgent communications via voice.
Users can change their notification frequency for posts: you can receive it instantly (when they are posted) or as a digest at 6 p.m.
- All posts would be sent in one email at 6 p.m. each night.
- If the user with the Digest setting turned on looks at the app or web browser, they will see the posts.
- The Digest user will still receive emergency communications instantly sent by Smart Alert or when a post is sent instantly.
- Messages, communication directed to smaller groups or individuals, are sent instantly.
Directions to set this up are located in the Set Preferences icon at the top of the page.
I’m not getting any messages at all from ParentSquare. Why not?
There are a few possibilities:
- The school does not have your correct contact information. Have them check your child’s PowerSchool record to make sure the most up to date information is entered.
- The same phone number or email address is used for both parents, so only one parent is getting the messages.
- You have turned off all the modes of communication in your ParentSquare account.
- Check your SPAM folder.
If you are both staff and a parent, you have the choice to have two separate accounts (one as a parent, and one as a staff member) or you can combine the two into one account. If you want to merge your two accounts, make sure your parent email in PowerSchool is your work email. If you would like them to become or stay separate, staff can submit an IT ticket to the SGCSD Help Desk.