Hello 6th Grade Families!
We are very excited that your child will be attending Scotia-Glenville Middle School, and we look forward to seeing them at our 6th Grade Orientation Day on Thursday, Aug. 31.
Please take note: We are starting at 8 a.m. sharp. Wear either sneakers or soft-soled rubber shoes because dress shoes are not allowed on the gym floor. Water and a light snack will be provided. Students are allowed to bring their own quick snack as well.
This year, the orientation will be a two-step process.
- 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. – a special program for students only.
- 12 p.m. to 2 p.m. – the traditional orientation for students, parents and guardians.
We are excited to introduce a brand-new program called Where Everybody Belongs (WEB) where new students will be matched with peers to help guide them through their first year of middle school. It’s the first phase of the orientation process for–students only–and it runs from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Students should enter the middle school through our auditorium entrance when they arrive.
- There will be WEB Leaders to guide them to the right place.
- Our WEB program will help get your 6th grader off to a great start!
The second phase is the traditional orientation procedure. This will begin immediately after the WEB Orientation concludes at 12 p.m. During this part of the day, parents and guardians are welcome to:
- tour the school with their student
- pick up a lock and set up locker
- meet their guidance counselor
- sign up for the parent portal
- ask any clarifying questions
More about the WEB Program
WHAT IS WEB?
WEB is a nationwide program designed to welcome and support 6th graders by connecting them with WEB Leaders, who are positive, responsible, hand-selected 8th graders. Your student’s WEB Leaders will help them feel more comfortable as well as help them achieve success in their first year of middle school. Doesn’t that sound great? It is!
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?
- A day or two before orientation, your child will receive a phone call from their WEB Leader personally inviting them to orientation day and giving the details of where to be and what time. The leaders can also answer any questions they may have.
- Your student is encouraged not to bring backpacks, purses or other similar items as the day is quite active. If they need to carry any personal items, they will be asked to leave them to the side.
- Because the day is active, please make sure that your student wears comfortable clothing that does not restrict movement and allows them to sit on the floor. Only sneakers or soft-soled shoes allowed due to our activities on the gym floor.
- Cell phone use is not permitted on this day. This is a student only function with team building activities, so we encourage you to please plan accordingly.
If you have any questions about the students only WEB portion of the day, you can email: MSWEB@sgcsd.net.
We look forward to a great orientation day!
Ms. Cutrone – Mrs. Levandowski – Mr. McCann – Ms. Rumpf