We have wrapped up the first successful week of students back in school and studying virtually from home. We are so pleased to have our students and families back with us!
Many have asked, “What Happens if There is a Case of COVID at Scotia-Glenville?”
The school district will communicate in the event of a confirmed case to parents/guaradians and staff via the Blackboard Connect system. General information will also be posted on the school district’s website, ScotiaGlenvilleSchools.org.
Here are specifics from the school district perspective:
- If a child comes to school with COVID symptoms, he or she will be isolated in the school until a parent can come and pick them up. A symptomatic staff person will be sent home.
- If the case is a student, the student and their siblings will be sent home from their schools and the student exhibiting symptoms will be directed to see a doctor. They will not be able to return to school until they have been seen by their health care provider, had a negative COVID test and are symptom free. Siblings will not need to be tested unless there is a confirmed case of COVID in the family. Siblings will return when the symptomatic student returns after receiving a negative COVID test.
If a staff person’s child has symptoms, the staff person will also be removed from work until the the child receives a negative COVID test and is symptom free.
If a parent/guardian refuses testing for the student, the student must remain isolated at home and excluded from school for at least 10 calendar or business days from the onset of their symptoms or until all symptoms are resolved.
- If it is a staff person, that staff person and any of their own children in the school district will be placed on a 14-day quarantine and directed to see a doctor. The staff person will be able to return to school once they have been seen by their health care provider, had a negative COVID test and are symptom free.
- If they (student/staff) meet the three criteria to return to school but are on an official quarantine from the SCPHS or another county or NYS they still have to remain in quarantine until they are released from that agency. Resolution of the three criteria to return does not supersede an official quarantine.
- An email/text message/phone call will be sent to employees and families in the impacted school building with specific information about working with Schenectady County Public Health Services, quarantine procedures, etc.
- A more generic email/text message/phone call will be sent to the remainder of the school district’s employees/families. The more generic message will be posted on the school district website.
- If the confirmed case changes school operations (an unplanned remote learning day, school closure, school district closure, etc.), we will follow up with a phone call, email and text message to all families.
- Please make sure that the contact information that you have provided in PowerSchool is still current. If it needs to be updated, please contact the main office at your child’s school.
The messages will use consistent language, which was developed in conjunction with Schenectady County Public Health Services and follow guidance rom the New York State Department of Health. Per the governor’s executive order, districts must report the number of confirmed cases on a daily basis to the New York State Department of Health. Information will be publicly available on the New York State COVID Report Card.
Please note, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and other privacy laws restrict us from disclosing or confirming any personally identifiable information. We cannot identify anyone who has been tested or the results of the test.
We are committed to keeping you informed while also respecting the federal and state laws that prohibit the release of confidential medical information.
It is the role of Schenectady County Public Health Services to contact individuals who were potentially exposed and should be tested and contact traced. The school district will work with the county health services each time there is a positive case.