Recognizing Scotia-Glenville 2020 Seniors
Given the current restrictions and information about the phased reopening plans from the Governor of New York State we are working on the following initiatives to recognize our Class of 2020.
- All 2020 Graduates will be extended the opportunity to participate in the 2021 Scotia-Glenville Commencement Ceremony at Proctors in 2021 if this event occurs in-person as planned.
- Principal to send open letter to all seniors.
- High School PTSA to provide lawn signs with each Senior name and Senior Picture to be displayed along 1 Tartan Way for approx. 1 month. (Seniors will pick up their sign when diploma distribution takes place).
- Administrators to deliver Scholastic Medals and Departmental Medals to recipients in person at their homes.
- Senior Awards Ceremony – virtual stream on June 5th 8:00am – 9:30am. Scholarship money distributed to Seniors with diplomas (see below).
- Seniors receive caps, gowns, senior gift in person via “drive-through” at 1 Tartan Way. Faculty, Staff to line the sidewalk area with signs and messages for students as they drive through to receive their items. Yearbooks distributed to Seniors first at this time (if they are in district by this date). [Mid June – TBD]
- Senior Speeches – Seniors have the opportunity to audition (via video conference) to give one of the two speeches which are a part of our Commencement Ceremony.
- Proctors Virtual Graduation Ceremony – A link will be published at 9:30 am on June 27th containing all aspects of a regular Scotia-Glenville Commencement Ceremony including a photo/video montage of each Senior (Seniors will send brief video clip or photo to be displayed at the end of the ceremony).
- Diploma Pictures and Pick-up – Stage set in front of the High School at 1 Tartan Way where students will be able to drive up with family (1 car per student), get out with cap/gown/tassels – and walk on a stage to receive a diploma and have pictures in front of a Scotia-Glenville Tartan Banner and flags. Any scholarship award recipients will receive their money and certificates at this time. Seniors will also take their personalized lawn sign. Cars will be lined up from the Sacandaga Elementary School side of the campus to the front of the campus and Faculty and staff will be spaced out along the sidewalks to see and acknowledge our graduates and their families as they make their way through the campus.
- iHeartRadio Promo Spots – a Scotia-Glenville Senior will record a special shout-out promotional spot to be aired as part of their tribute to the class of 2020 on radio stations around the Capital Region.
- Spectrum News to promote – will post the Spirit Week photo of SG Seniors arranged as a “20” on their website and promote the date/time/link for the virtual ceremony from Proctors.
** Unfortunately, the Scotia-Glenville Prom is cancelled for 2020 due to the closure of school through the remainder of the year and the NYS regulations on large gatherings. If there is an opportunity for a Prom-like event hosted in the community during the summer months the district will notify students and families.
** Unfortunately, the Senior Banquet is cancelled for 2020 due to the closure of school through the remainder of the year and the NYS regulations on large gatherings.
As the phases of reopening change in the Capital Region according to the Governor’s mandated process we will continue to re-evaluate and assess our options for ways to safely recognize and celebrate our seniors.