Seniors will begin showing up tomorrow for the cap and gown pickup ceremony. They will be given a sheet outlining all of the upcoming events.
Here is a summary of that information:
- June 19th – Cap/gown pick up 10:30 – 12:30 at the HS (Seniors arrive in any order)
- June 26th – Virtual Ceremony link posted on District Website at 5:00pm (available on demand from that time forward/not livestream)
- June 27th – Drive-up Diploma Ceremony – Starts with SGHS Retirees at 9:00 and then seniors will be assigned 30 min time slots – this information will be given to them on June 19th.
Here’s the information sheet:
2020 Graduation Events
1) June 26th Virtual Graduation Ceremony – Prerecorded video from Proctors will be available at a link on the District’s Website after 5:00 p.m. [2 copies of the Commencement Program included with this packet.]
2) June 27th Drive-up Diploma Ceremony at 1 Tartan Way 9:00 a.m. start [student assigned general time frame for spacing – see blue vehicle placards included in this packet.]
a. Students and families encouraged to decorate cars
b. Seniors, Faculty & Staff will decorate the campus
d. Names announced while receiving diplomas
SGHS Drive-Up Diploma Ceremony Guidelines*
- Each graduate will be allowed 2 legal passenger vehicles (no limousines, RVs, Truck beds, trailers etc.)
- All vehicles should enter from Mohawk Ave and head to the HS campus from Corps Park (Access Road). MS Parking Lot will serve as waiting area. Once the line is backed up to the MS cars should wait in this parking lot.
- Time slots are not rigid – we may get behind – everyone will be allowed to participate as long as they are in compliance with the guidelines.
- Family members and passengers must remain in their cars at all times except for when they reach the designated photo area at the front of the stage to watch their student cross to receive his/her diploma.
- Graduates will exit the car at the designated area in their cap & gown with mask on, walk down the sidewalk before a cheering crowd of SGHS Faculty & Staff (socially distanced), and cross the stage. Graduate will receive hand sanitizer just prior to stepping on stage. Diploma will be presented by Superintendent wearing mask/gloves.
- All individuals in attendance must wear a mask or face covering. Graduates may remove their face coverings while crossing the stage to receive their diploma while having their photo taken.
- Graduates processing to the stage will maintain social distance of at least 6 ft. at all times.
- No person-to-person contact during the celebration (shaking hands, hugs etc.)
- Graduate may move their tassel from right to left after receiving their diploma. When the graduate steps off the stage they will pick up a gift bag and their personalized lawn sign.
- Vehicles will depart after the graduate has walked the stage.
If you do not have access to a vehicle please call the Main Office (518-347-3600 ext. 61100)
*These guidelines were developed based on the NYSDOH guidelines for 2020 ceremonies
Here’s the video of Principal Peter Bednarek discussing graduation.