All activities involving community, visitor use of schools are canceled until at least April 20

I want to begin by assuring you that the school district is taking steps to limit the possibility of students or staff being exposed to the coronavirus (COVID-19).

The health and well being of our community remains our priority.

While there are no confirmed cases of the coronavirus (COVID-19) among SG students or staff, the school district is proactively moving to ensure that the incidence of the virus remains low.

As of midnight tonight, March 13, all activities at Scotia-Glenville that involve students going elsewhere or that involve outside visitors are canceled until after the April break, April 20 at the earliest.

Read more about coronavirus and schools here.

These are the activities that WILL still be held at Scotia-Glenville:

  • Regular school day, including faculty meetings and other usual activities tied to the school day.
  • After school buses will run at the middle and high school, so after school activities may still be held on the days when there are afterschool buses.
  • Y-Care in the elementary schools will still be held.

However, field trips, drama productions, continuing education classes and use of SG facilities by outside groups are canceled. In some cases, such as the drama productions or field trips, they may be rescheduled depending on what the situation looks like by April 20.

Section 2 has also put restrictions in place regarding athletic contests. All school-related athletic practices will continue as scheduled unless further guidance is provided to schools from Section 2 or the NYSPHSAA directs otherwise.

The Founders Day event scheduled for next Thursday, March 19, was postponed by the PTA Council. A new date for the event is being sought by the PTA Council.

This action is in response to Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s limitations Thursday on large group gatherings.

We are working closely with the state Department of Health, the state Education Department and the Capital Region BOCES to monitor the situation and make a decision about whether it will be necessary to extend these preventive measures beyond April 20. Please check our website for updates.

Superintendent of Schools Susan Swartz