|Students will participate in this online program through a secure Edmodo discussion site - http://screenr.com/Lqn8|
The ONLINE Summer Reading Program
begins July 1!
Packets must be picked up by students entering grades 4, 5 and 6 in September before the end of the school year at their school Library Media Center.
In collaboration with the Scotia Public Library on Mohawk Avenue in the village, this summer Scotia-Glenville students entering 4th, 5th and 6th grades have the opportunity to participate in an online summer reading program!
This program does not replace the traditional summer reading program at the public library - students can participate in other programs at the Scotia Public Library too, if they wish.
This additional public library program is designed for our older, on-the-go students who wish to keep in touch with each other, read good books, talk about them (safely and securely), join in web-based activities, earn rewards, keep up to date on the happenings at the public library, and more over the summer!
Students will participate in this online program through a secure Edmodo discussion site - http://screenr.com/Lqn8
Sign-up packets are available in your school Library Media Center and must be picked up before the end of the school year. They can be picked up by interested students. The packets will include:
▪ detailed program information (begins July 1st
▪ program registration & permission slips
▪ links to online tutorials
This joint project between Scotia-Glenville schools and the Scotia Public Library is being made possible thanks to a grant from the New York State Education Department in conjunction with the Capital Region BOCES School LIbrary System.
Glendaal Library Media Specialist Deb Byrne and Nancy Gifford (Schenectady Public Library, Scotia Branch Librarian) applied for and are coordinating the grant.
▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪
Optional parent information sessions have been scheduled at Sacandaga Elementary School – Library Media Center. They will be on:
▪ Wednesday, June 13th at 5:30 p.m.
▪ Tuesday, June 19th at 6:30 p.m.
The online program will be run by Ms. Byrne, Glendaal Elementary School’s Library Media Specialist, through the award of a grant. ALL SGCSD students entering 4th, 5th and 6th grades in the fall are invited to participate!
Please email with questions! email@example.com
▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪
2012 Summer Reading Online in Edmodo…..highlights:
▪ This is a new opportunity for SGCSD students – paid for with a New York State Education Department grant that was won by Deb Byrne (Glendaal Library Media Specialist) and Nancy Gifford from the Scotia Public Library, for the benefit of the Scotia Public Library Summer Reading Program.
▪ The online program does not replace all of the wonderful events at the public library…those are still happening! Plus, there are many events for younger children and families.
▪ This online segment of the summer reading program is designed for our older elementary students.
▪ Students can participate as little or as much as they want.
▪ Contests and incentives will take place over the summer. All prizes can be picked up at the Scotia Public Library.
▪ Edmodo (http://screenr.com/Lqn8) is an online communications tool that has been created for educators, and it mimics Facebook.
▪ However, it is not a public tool like Facebook. We will have a private group area set up for just the participants of the summer reading program who registered – this is NOT public on the Internet, nor do students have access to any other individuals outside of our group.
▪ This is only open to Scotia-Glenville students in 3rd, 4th & 5th grade (entering 4th, 5th, 6th in the fall).
▪ It is a secure tool & password protected. Once you register, Ms. Byrne will email you a group code and instructions to your email. Then you will use that code to create a user name and password online.
▪ Once students are registered and have access, they will go to the first tutorial on the main page, and all of the instructions will follow from there and will be available in edmodo during the summer.