A 60-year Tradition of Excellence
Scotia-Glenville traces its roots back
to a 24-square- foot schoolhouse constructed on Sacandaga Road
in 1818. Other schools were built in 1870 and 1910, including
the Lincoln School on First Street and the Mohawk School. The
first high school for grades 9-12 was built in 1905 on First
Street in Scotia. The first high school class to complete four
years- with 9 students- graduated in 1910. The Sacandaga School
was built in 1931.
Ten common schools joined as one with the centralization of the Scotia-Glenville Central School District in 1950. From 1951-53, the Glendaal, Glen-Worden and Lincoln Elementary schools were built. The Mohawk, Thomas Corners and Sacandaga schools, as well as the former Scotia High School on Sacandaga Road, continued to be used along with the three "newer" elementary schools. Of the pre-centralization schools, only the Sacandaga School continues to house Scotia-Glenville students. From 1953-55, the High School was constructed. The Junior High School opened in 1974.
In March 1999, the community approved a $27.1 million construction project that added a new gymnasium, science classroom wing and music area to the senior high school; a classroom wing, auditorium and gym to the new middle school; and classroom and library additions to the four elementary schools. Improvements at the bus garage were also included in the project as well as renovations and expanded parking lots at all buildings.
Further improvements followed the May 2009 community vote in favor of an $11.9 million project to replace the high school track, upgrade the heating system at the high school, replace elementary roofs, renovate and expand the middle school library and make a variety of other improvements at all six school buildings.